What Insurance is Legally Required In Uganda

CAR INSURANCEMotor Third Party Insurance (MTP) compensates and protects road users who may be injured or killed by a vehicle. As a statutory insurance, the limits are set by Law and the compensation amounts are pre-set.

According to the current rates (August 2013), the highest value of compensation you will get as an accident victim is UGX 1,000,000 with an aggregate per accident of UGX 10,000,000 from this insurance. In Uganda, it is illegal for you to operate a vehicle (including motorbikes) without the minimum, the statutory cover.

This does not mean that the liability is only worth UGX 1,000,000-this is just the maximum amount the insurance company will contribute towards your compensation for the accident. You can increase the upper limit of your third party insurance, See your Broker.Third Party Fire and Theft (TPFT) includes the basic MTP cover and also covers loss or damage to the vehicle if it is

  • (i) damaged by fire, lightening or explosion,
  • (ii) damaged either during an attempted theft or while it is stolen, and
  • (iii) if it is stolen but not recovered.
If you need a visa to enter Uganda you can apply online. A single entry visa for Uganda costs USD50 but there is also an East African Multiple entry 90 day visa, which costs USD 100 and covers Uganda, Kenya and Rwanda. You need to apply through the country you will visit first. If this is Uganda apply through Employees Work Permit (called Entry permit in Uganda) All non-nationals (including nationals of Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, and Tanzania) that wish to settle and conduct business in Uganda are required to have an entry permit. Application must be made online through Entry Permit This permit allows the applicant to live and work in Uganda. This permit is always sponsored by an Organisation or company which must have a mandatory Organisation code Process Refer to this link for the requirements needed for your work permit. In order for you begin processing your work permit, you will need the organisation’s (immigration) code to include on your application. If your organisation is not profiled/does not have a code, you can either get us in contact with your organisation or you can contact us. Once the application is submitted it will be studied by an Immigration Officer. Please note that during the approval process additional information may be required. The new required information can be submitted electronically through “Manage your applications”. The decision taken on the application will be sent electronically through the email provided by the applicant If approved, an approval letter will be sent as an attachment to the email provided. Click on the link to download it. If applying from outside Uganda, you may still be required to apply for a visa (depending on which country you are coming from) to enable you to enter Uganda as a travel letter is not permission to enter Uganda. You will also need to present a valid travel document (e.g. passport) of not less than 6 months validity to the Immigration officer at the port of entry. Below are the requirements needed for the organisation profiling procedure i.e how to get the code Organisation Profiling Organisations will be required to forward specific company documents for profiling their organisations in the system (Prior documentation of the organisation). Entry Permit applications can only be made against profiled organisations. If the Organisation fully submits the required information for profiling, a code is system generated for it and sent to the Organisation by e-mail through the email address provided. After receiving the code, it will then be possible for the necessary work permit applications for that Organisation to be submitted electronically using that Organisation code. To profile an Organisation; • Log on to • Download and fill in the form:” imm001” in either Microsoft Word or Excel format • Compile list of mandatory documents in soft copy Ministry of Internal Affairs 75 Jinja Road t: 0414595945, 0414348707 w: Below are the various work permits for the various professionals. Class A Diplomatic Service Required documents
  • Fill the entry permit form
  • Attach photocopies of passport
  • 2 passport size photos
  • Covering letter from the embassy and supportive letter from the Ministry of foreign affairs
  • Note Verbale
Class A2 Expatriates in Gov’t services Required documents
  • Fill entry Permit form
  • Attach photocopies of the passport
  • 2 passport size photos
  • Covering letter from the Organisation/line ministry
  • Copy of contract
Class B Investment in Agriculture Required documents
  • Photocopy of the passport (bio-data page)
  • Recent passport size photo
  • Police clearance from Interpol or home country
  • Covering letter
  • Copy of non-refundable payment receipt of $ 1500
  • Copy of Land title
  • Recommendation from LCs or RDCs office
  • Work plan/ Feasibility study of the project to be undertaken
  • Security bond
Class C Investment in Mining Required documents Photocopy of the passport (bio-data page)
  •  Recent passport size photo
  • Security bond
  • Police clearance from Interpol or home country
  • Copy of non-refundable payment receipt
  • Copy of Uganda Investment Authority (U.I.A) license
  • Support letter from ministry of Energy, Minerals &Natural Resources
  • Copy of mining license issued in Uganda
Class D Business and Trade Required documents
  • Copy of certified Company Bank statement (last three months)
  • Copy of Trading license
  • Copy of the passport (Bio-data page)
  • Copy of the income Tax clearance
  • Copy of security bond
  • Copy of recent passport size photo graph
  • Clearance letter from Interpol or home country
Class E Manufacturers Required documents
  • Clearance letter from Interpol or home country
  • Copy of Uganda Investment Authority license
  • Security bond
  • Copy of the passport (bio-data page)
  • Copy of recent passport size photo
  • Copy of the Income Tax clearance