Expats in Uganda

Your Practical Guide to settling and living in Uganda

To rent there is always an agreement drawn up between the landlord (usually the owner of the building being rented out) and a tenant, relating to occupying the building, subject to payment of rent. If you rent a property ‘furnished’, it usually has furniture, crockery but does not normally include sheets, etc. Sign an inventory as this will help you in the event of dispute. If you rent ‘unfurnished’, you should be aware that the majority of decent apartments include kitchen appliances but curtain rails, carpets and lighting appliances are not usually included. After identifying the property and inspecting it to ensure that it meets your desired standards; you are advised, as a first time resident, to preferably engage the services of a lawyer. The landlord will be expected to provide you with a copy of the title deed and identification documents. The first time resident should provide; A copy of his/her passport, photographs and both parties (landlord/lessee) will be required to sign a copy of the tenancy agreement.

Home Hippo Mackenzie Vale Road, Kololo 0705126526, 0705126526 www.homehippo.ug
True Level 0752631526, 0752631526
Lamudi 436-437 Mawanda Road,B3 Corner House, 0784070350 www.lamudi.co.ug

Payable by the Tenant

Private consumption of water, gas, electricity. Plus communal management charges in flats.

Payable by the Landlord

Repair of buildings, rire insurance, purchase of communal materials, maintenance and repair of tanks, tiles, and electrical installations.

Tenants’ Deposit

Tenants usually pay a deposit which is refunded at the end of the tenancy, less any costs of damage agreed between the two parties.